Here are my two favourite things to do with canned chickpeas!!
Chickpea and Quinoa Patties
The chickpea and quinoa patties were a bit of an experiment that I tried a while ago when I wanted to make veggie patties but with higher protein content. I happened to have left over quinoa that day and decided to add the chickpeas and spice it up with a few other ingredients. The result was epic! lightly spiced, satisfying and delicious patties that are so easy to put together. The added bonus is that it tastes almost like potatoes. Because anything that tastes like potatoes is always a plus.
Here’s how you make it:
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup canned Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped (replace with parsley if you hate coriander with a passion)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli power (or more according to how much heat you can handle)
- juice of half a small lemon
- olive oil for pan frying, about 1 tsp per batch
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mash with a fork and mix until the mixture comes together.
- shape into patties and lightly coat with flour.
- heat olive oil in a pan and fry patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan onto a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- And serve!
- serve with yogurt, chilli and tamarind sauce, topped with extra coriander, for a Indian street style snack.
- Use the patties as you would in a veggie burger or sandwich.
- Just eat it by itself cause its that good.
makes about 12 small patties
My Homemade Hummus Recipe
This hummus was super easy to make, Just chuck the ingredients to a high power blender and you have the quickest and smoothest hummus done.
- 1 cup Canned Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Juice of half a small lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- add all ingredients to a high power blender and blend till smooth.
- If its too thick add some more yogurt or olive oil or even the juice from the chickpea can to thin out the mixture.
- pour into a bowl and serve!
I like to serve the hummus as a dip for veggies which is perfect for snack time through out the week. You could also put it on toast or add it to your favourite sandwiches or wraps. delish!
I hope ya’ll like these recipes and let me know if you try making it!